National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Central United Methodist Church

National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Central United Methodist Church
National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Central United Methodist Church
click image to zoom

Creator: United States Department of the Interior Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service
Subjects: Historic Designation, Corporate Records
Description: Description of Central United Methodist Church's religious structures on the interior and exterior. Located on Woodward Avenue at East Adams Street in Detroit, Michigan.
Format: Text/jpg
Original Format: Other
Language: English
Rights Management: Central United Methodist Church
Contributing Institution:
Contributor: Carlton Rolle
Transcript: The structure is located on the northeast corner of East Adams and Woodward Avenue and now measures 105 feet long and 100 feet wide. Central United Methodist Church is a light gray, rock-faced coursed ashlar, limestone, Gothic Revival-style church with dark stone trim built in 1866-67. Like most of the other Woodward Avenue churches located south of Mack Avenue, Central Methodist assumed its present size as a result of a 1935 remodeling necessitated by the widening of Woodward Avenue. Although it was reduced in length by the shortening of the nave several bays, the facade was reconstructed so as to be virtually identical to its original design. The gabled entrance elevation facing Woodward Avenue is balanced by a tall, buttressed, corner tower with open belfry and tapering slate spire. The doorway is inset within a compound, molded, Gothic arch. Dominating the facade is the overĀ¬sized, traceried, lancet-arched window over the doorway. The only other exposed elevation faces Adams Street. As a result of the shortening of the nave by twenty- eight feet in 1935 when the Woodward facade was moved back, the corner tower now practically abuts the gabled transept. From this elevation, the small wood and copper lantern over the crossing is visible.

The interior of the church maintains its 1860s appearance. Inside the Woodward Avenue entrance, a small vestibule opens directly into the church. Exposed timber trusswork supporting the pitched ceiling extends down the cream-painted, plaster walls to the balcony level, which encompasses the church auditorium. The raised sanctuary is recessed into full-height, lancet-arched niche with a paneled wooden ceiling. The carved wood Gothic-style reredos is framed by a plaster Gothic arch surrounded by a painted depiction of saints ascending toward heaven against a background of clouds. The church retains its natural wood pews, pulpit, and Gothic style furnishings.

Adjoining the rear of the church on Adams Street is the six-story, cross-gable roofed, limestone parish house building built in 1914-16. This is a Jacobean- style building with three-part windows, stone hood moulds, gabled dormers, and a steeply pitched slate roof. It was designed to co